Sunday, July 15, 2012

Potty Training...Round 2

First off, wish us luck :)
Secondly I think that this time will be a much more positive experience for both child and I.

A few months ago my mom sent me an email about the 3 day potty training method. I read through the book (pdf file) while in bed one night and read some things to Justin. We both thought that alot of the methods and such that this lady used were valuable and that child would do well with them. Her first suggestion was that if you had tried potty training and it was awful experience for both of you was to wait 30 days then try again. We waited longer than 30 days...mostly because of me and whenever I would ask Emery about going potty on the toilet she would either shut down or just pitch a fit so I didn't press the issue. A few weeks ago I would randomly bring up going potty on the toilet and how awesome it is and how big girls do it etc etc. She seemed to be a bit more open to the whole idea especially after she had pooped and was super grossed out by the smell of it and I would explain that if she goes in the toilet that it wouldn't stink as bad and her room wouldn't be stinky from all the diapers stuff like that. I could see her brain processing this information and deciding that it was good.

Anywho this lady also said throw away all diapers and pull ups (haven't done this yet) just so that when the going gets really tough you're not tempted to put them right back in pull ups as that would do the opposite of our goals.

Don't let them drink liquid 2 hours before they go to bed for night potty training.

Do not have them sit on the toilet unless they are showing signs (wiggling, dancing, holding their privates) that they need to go potty.

Buy and have lots of clean undies on hand for the accidents they are bound to have.

Crackers and lots of juice to keep them going.

You have to be totally dedicated and focused on your child and make sure that they are with you every waking moment (no joke) you cannot miss an accident. Everytime they have an accident you rush them to the bathroom so that at least some of their pee makes it to the toilet and yes they still get a reward even though they may have started going potty in the wrong place :P

Rewards! Candy, little toys, potty charts and stickers stuff like that.

Try to pick 3 days where you do not go anywhere so that focus can be 100% on potty training from you and child.

These are just a few of her idea's. There are others which i also enjoy but these ones seem to be most crucial.

So tonight Emery, Justin and I went to walmart we let her pick out 2 packs of big girl undies: Hello Kitty and some cute girly ones. Then we let her pick out the candy that she wanted as well as the little toys from the party aisle that are only a buck and you get a bunch of them. We got her a potty chart and let her decide where it was to hang in our appartment. We asked her which potty she wanted to use, her little pink one or the big potty. She opted for her little pink one and told us that the big toilet makes her a little bit scared (we assured her it's ok to be scared and that we were too when we were little). We got a plastic bed protector so that if and when she has accidents in bed it won't ruin the mattress. We let her help us as we put it on the bed and explained what it was for. We let her open all of her undies and we sat on her floor and looked at all of them and how "cool" they are and cute and such. We let her put them in her dresser. I found a basket and asked her if it was ok for her potty bucket (it's what we're using to hold the candy and little toys) she said it was. So i put all the candy and toys in and her face just lit up. She really seems to be alot more excited and my number one thing is that I want her to be comfortable and feel like she is in control about this huge step. I also want it to be a really fun expierience unlike the last time. I just have to let myself let her do her thing. Not get upset or frustrated with the accidents and all of that stuff. Make sure she knows how proud i am even if she has accidents because accidents happen! I'm actually excited to try again and even if it doesn't happen in three days it's ok she'll get it eventually and even if i have to do a billion loads of dirty messy accident underwear it's still going to be a good time :)

Again I say, Wish US luck!
Sure love this little miss!


I'll post pics of her awesome potty basket...it's seriously loaded with goodness.

2 comments:

MOM/SUSAN said...

First of all, that photo of you and Little miss is, well, like looking at a double exposure. You look so much alike! Secondly, that method is exactly what I did will all of my kids and it really did work. It was not awful. The most important thing for me was waiting until I knew they'd 'get it', which meant that they were all nearly three. Kind of late for some, but perfect for us. GOOD LUCK!!!!

MOM/SUSAN said...

Actually, they may have been over three, but whatever, it worked and we still loved each other when it was all over:)